Posted by Crystal Kam on January 29, 2018
Each year brings a new set of goals and intentions, and 2018 is no different!
At BTI, we’re excited to kick off 2018 with our own set of resolutions ranging from self-improvement, personal growth, to health and fitness goals.
Here is what our team had in mind for the year:
I don't make resolutions. Instead, I focus on building lifestyle habits. My main one for 2018 is to wake up bright and early at 5 am to get my day started. So far, I feel great and accomplished, as I no longer feel rushed and have a full day ahead to tackle what is in store for me.
1) Reduce the amount of plastic I use. In the US, 500 million straws are thrown out every single day! From packaging, produce bags, coffee cups and other one-time use plastics, I am going to try and say no whenever I can.
2) Only purchase 10 items of clothing all year. In an effort to only bring home things I really love, 10 new items in a year is the challenge I have set for myself!
3) Declutter and organize at home. I have a storage room that is giving me anxiety.
1) Get involved with a meaningful cause. What else could be more meaningful to my life other than a full-time job? I am going to try something like volunteering where I can participate and it’s something beneficial for the community.
2) Develop a hobby. The world is getting smaller and so is our daily life. Don't you think the weekend is a bit boring sometimes? I figured that my life needs a little garnish, so I want to try something like handcrafting, painting, or a hip-hop class!
1) Read 10 books this year. I used to be an avid reader, but in the past several years I haven’t been reading as much as I used to. This was a resolution from last year that I didn’t complete, so I’m bringing it back so I can try again.
2) Take a solo trip. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, but my parents are terrified. YOLO
3) Contact or hang with 3 friends each month. As I get older, I find that it’s harder to keep in touch with friends as we get busier. So I want to make an active effort in reaching out and keeping my friendships alive.
1) Work towards getting my black belt. I want to start practicing more, getting into better shape, and improving my cardio.
2) Cooking more at-home meals instead of going out. This will include meal planning ahead of time, experimenting with new food options and always having safe snacks for me to eat.
3) Try to reduce my environmental impact. I am going to try to use my travel mug when grabbing coffee out, buy less pre-packaged items so I have less to throw out, and always compost whatever I can.
1) Consume less sugar. For obvious health reasons.
2) Exercise. I want to increase my energy, strengthen my body, and just value and maintain my overall health.
3) Read at least a little bit more. I used to enjoy reading both for knowledge and fun and I want to re-nurture that type of focus and enjoyment.
4) Get outdoors more. I was never very outdoorsy, but the scenery is always changing, it's so beautiful, and it's free! I want more of that.
1) Eat Healthier. Not really a resolution, but a promise to myself to eat a little healthier this year - reducing sugar (yes, no more Timbits), fewer carbs and trying to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.
2) Read More - I love to read, but usually only make time for reading when I travel for either business or pleasure. Reading is relaxing and I want to try and incorporate reading into my daily routine
3) Explore Ontario - I' m hoping to explore and see more of the great outdoors (once the snow melts of course). There are so many small towns, local music festivals and markets to discover, although my favourite remains Unionville.
1) Get back to drawing. I used to draw all the time but the digital age got me sidelined, so now I want to get back to it.
2) Get out to nature more. My goal this year is to see more of nature even if it's as simple as going to the park.
3) Use my treadmill. I'm one of those people who has one but doesn't use them. This year my goal is to change that.
4) Get rid of distractions. Social media is great, but like anything, too much can be distracting. I will disconnect from those that cause distraction.
1) Spend more money on experiences rather than materials. Go shopping less frequently; spend the money on small trips or going to events with close friends.
2) Eat more fruits and vegetables. I don't like to eat them; so I put them into an oatmeal bowl or a smoothie blend.
3) Go to the gym more. Trying to go to the gym more often, at least 3 or 4 times a week.
1) Travel more and see the world. I like to visit different places and experience different cultures.
2) Start writing my own blogs. I like to share my knowledge with others as I learn a lot by reading blogs. I would like to publish my own blogs
1) Walk with Myca at least 90 min every day. Improve my health and commit to spending time with Myca every day.
2) Complete 2 home renovation projects. Improve my home rest and peace environment.
3) Have my nephews over for the weekend 6 times a year. Spend more quality time with my family.
1) Say "no" and do less. Sounds like a bad thing, but it's necessary for me if I don't want to burn out. I have a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) so I say yes to everything. This year, I'm gonna start saying no.
2) Read. Grow as a person and expand my knowledge by reading things relevant to my career and interests. Not just magazines about music.
3) Smile. You can make someone’s day with a bit of friendliness and a smile. Also, a fortune cookie said "Your smile can solve your friends' problems", so I'm gonna give it a shot.
1) Read one chapter of a book each day. This way I can get through all the books on my table that I still have to read (reading for pleasure).
2) Spend 20-30 minutes a day meditating, relaxing and journaling. To bring inner peace and calm to myself.
1) Cut down on Starbucks. I need to curb my addiction and save money.
2) Quality time. Spend more time with my son and less screen time.
3) Learn French. It’s always good to learn a something new, and it’s one of Canada’s official languages!
Share your NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS with us by tagging @bticreative on social media today!